Sunday, May 29, 2011

HW # 59 - SOF Prom 2011 & DSPs

I have now read three good descriptions of prom experiences written by my classmates. My first reaction was that I’m glad that the skepticism promoted in our class about this “rite of passage” that seniors are expected to attend did not keep them from having a good time. (Score: students 1; Andy 0 – joke). Actually, it sounds like the healthy awareness they had from Normal is Weird contributed to their having a better time.

Arden:
“I wanted so badly not to care about prom I started a fight against getting involved. And the day of the event I lost that battle. The influence of the event is hard to overcome. So difficult to the point where I ended up with the very typical experience. Surprisingly I am ok with it. I like the classic awkward, and posed pictures. I enjoyed the limo rides and the dancing. A stereotyped, typical experience I was in the end very glad to be a part of.”

What this quote makes me feel is that by being hyper-aware of all the clichés, a prom goer can keep from getting dragged down by them. The awareness gives participants a perspective so they can think “Now here’s the part where I make my entrance and my parents go ooh and ah, and here’s where we have to pose for the photos,” and just see the experience for what it is so they don’t feel they have to rebel against it completely.

Omar:
“I definitely had a bit of cynicism towards prom prior to it…Although I was never against the idea of prom in any way I saw it as a stupid event put on by the school that people go to because, as is said with many things prom related, it is tradition…My views of prom changed slightly because the experience didn’t feel so fake, as is so often described or portrayed…The traditions may be silly but following them isn’t so bad…Seeing everyone dance together and laugh and simply talk was nice.”

Natalie:
“It is funny how for one night people want to be someone else entirely. While dancing there was the circle dance, but not necessarily with “the outcast” in the middle. Everyone was included in the dancing and it was nice to just let yourself go. Nobody cared about how you danced or with whom you danced. Our grade was definitely unified…”

Omar’s quote and Natalie’s quote make me think that SOF did a good job of putting on a
low-key prom that made it possible for most people to have a great time. It also sounds like the school’s efforts to make us all respect each other paid off. Of course it’s possible that some kids had a less good time. Maybe some girls felt they had to spend too much money getting ready than they could afford. Maybe some hated their dress because they couldn’t afford the one they wanted. Maybe some hated the way they looked in the pictures that will get sent to all the relatives. Maybe some guys felt awkward or uncomfortable wearing what they were wearing and wished they hadn’t come. Maybe a few people felt like “outcasts.” I hope not. The only good part about not having a good time at the prom is that your story will be more interesting to tell when you are older. There can’t be a non-boring book or movie about a prom that is 100% fun for everybody.

So – how do I feel now about not having gone? I think maybe I missed something. I was playing soccer the same night in a game that was important because it is almost playoff time. It was a great game that ended in a tie, and afterwards every part of my body hurt. There was blood and there were black and green bruises. In fact, I was in great pain having had both my wrist and my ankle operated on three weeks ago because of game injuries. There’s a physical and a social price to pay if you choose to play these pre-professional sports. I guess I must not mind paying it. I like to dance, but when I’m on a field I love to play more than anything else in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment